Boris

Boris

Thursday, December 4, 2014

Horror Anthologies?






Well, the Christmas season is upon us and with Scream Factory's release of Tales From The Crypt (containing one of my favorite holiday segments: All Through The House) and The Vault Of Horror on bluray got me to thinking: What are your favorite horror anthology films? While certainly not exclusively made by British horror film company Amicus, they made a lot of great films to pair up with Creepshow and the like. I'm going to say my favorite is Tales From The Crypt followed closely by From Beyond The Grave. What can I say, I'm an Anglophile. What say you?



5 comments:

  1. There's a few Amicus I haven't seen but Asylum is my current favourite... possibly tied with Tales for the Crypt. Will know better when I rewatch the latter soon.

    Aside from that, I'd say Trick 'r Treat (as someone else said, the Pulp Fiction of anthology horror flicks), Creepshow 2 and Cat's Eye (though I might be in a minority on those last two). Am sure there are a ton of others I'm spacing on.

    You bringing this subject up has reminded me to order the Blu Ray of Dead of Night... never seen it all but did see the ventriloquist's dummy story when I was at uni. I hear that's meant to be one of the best portmanteau movies... and is also Christmassy too apparently, another reason for me to seek it out asap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent choices all around sir. But, is Trick R Treat an anthology film?

      Delete
    2. Damn good question! Suppose it isn't in the traditional sense but it still feels like one to me. Basically, if you took Halloween, Creepshow and Pulp Fiction and stuck 'em in a blender, this is what you'd get... i.e. one part anthology, two parts other stuff... so yeah I'd say it's an anthology but a diluted one... or something. I was going somewhere with that originally and then the train derailed on me. I'll simply say I think you could argue a case either way.

      Delete
  2. And Black Sabbath of course! How the heck did I nearly forget that one?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BLACK SABBATH! You forget because it is Bava.

      Delete